Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 21, 2011

Baby Scream Radar and a Disney Princess T-Shirt

Last night, while I was cooking dinner, and the husband, Tom, was watching TV, Ella took it upon herself to let out a continuous stream of blood-curdling screams.  No idea why.  Just being generous, I guess.

I've noticed that she does this whenever we want to watch something we like on TV, or if we're trying to listen to something important on the news.  Or if we're trying to speak to each other.  Or think.

It's like Baby Scream Radar: "Ooooh!  Mommy and Daddy are doing that talking thing!  It needs to stop!  Scrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreach!!!!"  "Mommy put that show on TV again!  And it's not Elmo!  Scrrrrrrrrrrrrrreach!"

That would make one hell of a burglar alarm.  A baby scream alarm would ward off anyone; neighbors, childless couples...single male friends.  As if that glorious stench of baby (ie: sour milk and poop) wouldn't deter them upon opening your door in the first place.

Then again, this morning, I could tell she was getting into naptime mode when she stood up in her playpen, watching me, and whining.  That's usually code for "Mommy, pick me up, get my blankie and my binky, it's time to snooze!!!"

Today was slightly different.  I gave her a sippy cup of milk while she was in her playpen.  Mistake.

Now, most of her toys have a lovely white sheen, and her board book pages are stuck together.  She left the sippy cup upside down in a corner of the pen, the nipple bent at an angle allowing the milk to puddle.

Then I noticed her butt was wet.  And both of the feet of her pajamas.  And I had already changed her pajamas once since she'd been awake.

I put her in an outfit consisting of a blue Disney Princess t-shirt and pink leggings and placed her back into the playpen.  After 10 minutes of silence (and the ability to watch a full segment on the Rachael Ray show), I became concerned.

I peeked into the pen, and there was Ella holding the bottom hem of her t-shirt stretched out in front of her, as she checked out the three Disney Princesses, Tiana, Aurora and Cinderella.

Had she been doing this the whole time? 

To quote Gru from Despicable Me: "Lightbulb!!!"

Maybe if I throw a Disney Princess shirt on her everytime she gets into scream mode, she'll be distracted to the point of NOT SCREAMING.  And maybe, I'll have an element of sanity back.

And maybe, Tom and I can have a full converstation!

Hmm...let me rethink that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment